Stitchin', Schoolin' and Stuff

Random musings and down right silly fodder from one extremely disorganized southern gal... no accounting for taste. Homeschooling Mom of 4 and VERY proud of it!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Homeschooling Opinions...

are like... oh, never mind. But, everyone seems to have one!

One of the main things I don't seem to be able to get a grip on is why people are so worried about ME homeschooling. I mean, they aren't worried about the kids... it is ME they worry about!! For example, I just got off the phone with my Grandmother who told me that she worries that "I" will get burnt out and lose interest. I mean "They need to go to school so you can get a break sometimes!" Ok, I really find this interesting. I mean, heaven forbid that I actually LIKE spending time with my kids and RELISH in what we are learning together. Because I "have SO many kids" (4 is the new dozen, you know!), it is automatically assumed that spending as much time as possible with them will surely drive me slowly insane. Hmmm... maybe that is my problem - being WITH my kids is making me crazy! Whew, glad I figured that out without hundreds of dollars of worthless counseling.

It is so hard for people to wrap their minds around our decision. They are not in my house. They don't have a clue what goes on in a given day. They aren't here as I read Treasure Island aloud each day and then we discuss it. They do not have the pleasure of being ask a million times a day if we are are going to the library. No, being with my children is completely ridiculous! Whatever am I thinking? Even if I don't go crazy, surely I will warp them - surely, I will fail - surely, they will be less than stellar members of society and contribute little. I mean, come on! All of the best criminal justice shows are about homeschoolers, right?

Yesterday my youngest (who does attend public kindergarten at the moment) was home for break. Since he likes to do "Mommy school" when he is home, we did 6 worksheets together and the he read two books to me. When his Dad got home, he couldn't wait to read a book to him. Wow, sounds like I am warping him too! Working with him outside of public school??? SHAME ON ME! Boy, oh boy... when I bring him home next year to school with us, I will have ruined another one.

So, for now, I will get off of my soap box. I am off to research some discussion questions for Part II of Treasure Island, look into a Health program for the second half of the school year and then cozy up and read Beowulf with the kids. Yep, I am insane. But, I shall be driven nuts with a smile on my face and kids that actually ENJOY being home with me! Will wonders never cease.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jaime said...

Fooey on those who are trying to tell you how to "school" your children. I think you are doing an excellent job!!!!!
Keep on doing it Tina and ignore the idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:27 AM  
Blogger _ said...

My DH is always amazed at the comments we get about our homeschooling. And he's also fascinated by how excited other parents are for the start of the new school year...how eager they seem to be to ship their children off into someone elses care for the day. He doesn't understand how someone wouldn't want to spend all the time they could with their kids. (No offense meant to those of you reading that don't homeschool. We certainly understand that everyone has different needs). Don't let the comments bother you, Tina. You are doing an excellent job and having your kids so excited to share what they do during the day with their dad shows that. (((Hugs)))

12:39 PM  
Blogger hollyday said...

Well those "other" people are just a bunch of &*%$#@! You have obviously made the right decision for you and your family and that is all that matters :). I am one of those who knows I don't have the patience or organizational skills to homeschool, and am fortunate to live in one of the country's best counties for public schools so I don't have to worry as much. (warning--dry sahara humor coming, please don't take offense LOL ;). I am also one of those who looks forward to the start of the school year, and yes Vicki I take great offense ;).

1:27 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Pffffffft to them. We all love learning with our kids. If we stop doing that, what is there left? We do it in different ways and I'm sorry you have people around you who do not respect the choices you have made for your family. I know I'm going to thoroughly enjoy reading your blog!

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home