Stitchin', Schoolin' and Stuff

Random musings and down right silly fodder from one extremely disorganized southern gal... no accounting for taste. Homeschooling Mom of 4 and VERY proud of it!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alabama

Monday, February 05, 2007

~Best Thing/Worst Thing~

On one of the boards I visit someone ask the question 'What was the one your parents did that you wouldn't?'. Of course, later someone else posted 'What was the best thing your parents did?'. I read the replies to the first with great interest. People listed things like getting divorced, smoke, washing mouth out with soap, etc. I didn't bother posting my response. I think parenting is a learning experience. Whether you have 1 or 10 children - you learn as you go. I learned a lot from my Mom, who learned a lot from my Meme, who learned a lot from my Mamaw and so on. But, we are all human and make mistakes. Sure, my Mom did things as a parent that I don't BUT we are different people AND our kids are different. She was a working single Mom when I was little and then later on she was a married working Mom of two. I am a stay at home, homeschooling Mom of four. Just that makes our situations different and thus, our parenting different. The things I remember are not the mistakes my Mom made, although I am sure she made her fair share just as I have with my children. I remember her being there for me, loving me and silly things like taking me to a professional makeup counter the first time I wanted to wear makeup or letting me have a boy-girl party at 13. But what I remember most of all is her showing me what a strong, independent woman is capable of... she is a special woman and I love her. Of course, I tell her all the time the BEST thing she ever did for me was marry my step-Dad who is, in my heart, my Dad. I have never been less than his daughter and he has never been less than wonderful to me. I only hope that my kids will one day say that they learned from me and remember all of the good things. And, know that I love them.

When my Mom got sick, people commented on how strong I was during the time when we didn't know if she would make it. When my brother died, again, people commented on my strength. My Mom just told me the other day that I would be fine when she isn't here any more because I am a rock. That makes me smile - not because I want to lose her (I shiver at the thought) but because she doesn't even realize that SHE is the reason I am strong.

Her being my Mom. That is why I am who I am. That is why I am strong. She is my strength. I love you, Mom.

5 Comments:

Blogger . said...

Your entry made me cry. I never had a mom like that. I do vow to BE a mom like that. Thank you.

3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so sweet to think of your Mother that way. My Mother wasn't perfect but she was there when I came home from school and she did the best she could and I thanked her for it. I wouldn't be here and doing a great job as a parent if it weren't for her. Thank you for this post.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Frugality Mom said...

I was fortunate to have a grandmother like that who raised me and I hope I can be the same to Malachi but with my personal style.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

I agree with you. I love my mother, she is my biggest fan and also always ready to help when needed. Your post was beautiful.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

How beautiful!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home